The purpose of this blog

The intention of the blog is to bring together those that believe in God the Eternal Father and His Son Jesus Christ. It is a place to share our personal experiences and feelings to ultimately testify that He is real, that He is aware of each of us and ever watchful in the details of our lives.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

How Rea Knows

October 30, 1996
Approx. 2 a.m.
Dallas, Texas

The phone in our daughter’s house rang at this unlikely hour.  She soon learned that it was our oldest son, calling from Virginia.  In a matter of seconds, we learned that a younger son, John, had been murdered as he worked at a Motel, filling in for an employee who couldn’t be there that night.

I remember screaming, four times.  Then a numbness replaced my shock – or perhaps it was a result of the shock.  My daughter and I held each other as our minds tried to absorb the news.

October 31, 1996

I boarded the plane to return to our home in Utah.  My numbness seemed to be holding me up, giving me some kind of balance and allowing me to carry out the actions that were necessary.  I remember wondering why I was not crying.  Maybe because there hadn’t been time, or maybe because I was the mother of nine children and was accustomed to focusing on the immediate needs.

As I sat down in the window seat of the plane, belt secured, movement of the plane began.  Suddenly, I felt sick and it became obvious to me that a very unfamiliar feeling, probably hysteria, was near.  I needed to get out!  More screams built in my breast.  It felt as if I would smother.  I needed air!  Almost incapacitated, I closed my eyes and prayed for help, prayed that I would be able to stay on the plane and get home to my family.

It quickly came, the help I so desperately needed.  All at once, I was wrapped tightly in a very warm, comforting blanket.  Incredible peace, calm and love filled my whole being.  In addition, I was given the unrequested blessing of knowledge that Johnny was safe and happy and all was exactly as it should be and all would be well.  Deep within my heart, I know now, the seeds of love and forgiveness were planted in that moment. 

Never had I imagined this kind of peace.   My experiences in prayer had brought much comfort before, but never this complete and overwhelming understanding of His love and care for me.

~Rea Whicker